Kaighn’s Modification of Ham’s F-12 Medium is a modified version of Ham’s F-12 medium. Ham’s F-12K (Kaighn’s) was originally used for primary cells such as human oocytes and hepatocytes, as well murine and chicken liver cells in a lower serum environment.
Ham’s F-12K (Kaighn’s) Medium contains a variety of components not found in older media, such as putrescine (therefore the media smells after incubated with cells after 48 hours), thymidine, hypoxanthine, zinc, and higher levels of all amino acids and sodium pyruvate. These compensated for supplemental serum. But the addition of 10 % FBS is necessary. PurMaTM F-12K Medium contains no proteins or growth factors and therefore should be supplemented with FBS. PurMa TM F-12K Medium also contains:
– Low level of glucose (1.26 g/ liter)
– Sodium bicarbonate (2.5 g/L) (if higher than 5% CO2 is used, a higher % of sodium bicarbonate is needed).
– PurMa Biologics also offers F-12K Medium with low sodium bicarbonate (1.5 g/L) (Cat # P3S057108) as well as high sodium bicarbonate (3.7g/L) (Cat # P3S032108)
– 2 mM L-glutamine (292 mg/L)’
– A higher concentration of amino acids, vitamins, inositol and choline are present in this medium.
PurMa Biologics manufactures 96 types of Ham’s F-12K which accommodate any form of this medium. We recommend contacting our friendly customer service & technical support about your exact need for Ham’s F-12K media.
Why PurMa Biologics? Why we stand behind our cell culture media:
- Our products are the outcome of 30 years of experience in cutting edge cell and tissue culture science.
- We routinely manufacture over 1500 media which is the most comprehensive collection of cell and tissue culture media.
- We utilize %99 pure amino acids. This will significantly increase the consistency among your experiments, and the result of your lab compared to other laboratories working on the same issues.
- Considering the highest quality, our prices are extremely reasonable.
Application of Ham’s F-12K
This media has elements that prevent clumping the cells which is a necessity for performing analysis on these cells. Ham’s F-12K has been formulated for use in a 5% carbon dioxide atmosphere and is not recommended for higher and lower percentages of CO2. It utilizes a bicarbonate buffering system. Scientists in PurMa Biologics have successfully evaluated Ham’s F-12K medium for the culture of vast varieties of primary as well as commercial cell lines including: normal and neoplastic leukocytes, HeLa, Jurkat, MCF-7, PC12, PBMC, astrocytes, carcinomas, bone marrow, and hybridoma cells. Ham’s F-12K Medium contains no proteins, lipids, or growth factors. Therefore, Ham’s F-12 Medium requires supplementation, commonly with 10% Fetal Bovine Serum (FBS).
Formulation: for complete formulation click here: Ham’s F-12K Formulation
- Growth and continuous passage of COMMA-D mouse mammary epithelial cells in hormonally defined serum-free medium. Riss TL, Sirbasku DA. Cancer Res. 1987 Jul 15;47(14):3776-82. PMID: 3297308.
- Human recombinant insulin-like growth factor I. I. Development of a serum-free medium for clonal density assay of growth factors using BALB/c 3T3 mouse embryo fibroblasts. Riss TL, Karey KP, Burleigh BD, Parker D, Sirbasku DA. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol. 1988 Nov;24(11):1099-106. doi: 10.1007/BF02620811. PMID:
- Hormones and factors that stimulate growth of a rat islet tumor cell line in serum-free medium. Fong HK, Chick WL, Sato GH. Diabetes. 1981 Dec;30(12):1022-8. doi: 10.2337/diab.30.12.1022. PMID: 6273246
- Rat pituitary tumor cells in serum-free culture. I. Selection of thyroid hormone-responsive and autonomous cells. Riss TL, Stewart BH, Sirbasku DA. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol. 1989 Feb;25(2):127-35. doi: 10.1007/BF02626168. PMID:
- Primary in vitro antibody responses by purified murine B lymphocytes in serum-free defined medium. Mosier DE. J Immunol. 1981 Oct;127(4):1490-3. PMID: 6792277
- Evaluation of a simple protein free medium that supports high levels of monoclonal antibody production. Qi YM, Greenfield PF, Reid S. 1996 Jun;21(2):95-109. doi: 10.1007/BF02215660. PMID: 22358660.
- Medium formulations. Curr Protoc Cell Biol. 2001 May; Appendix 2: Appendix 2B. doi: 10.1002/0471143030.cba02bs06. PMID: 18228282.
- Serum-free culture of rabbit meniscal fibrochondrocytes: proliferative response. Webber RJ, Zitaglio T, Hough AJ Jr. J Orthop Res. 1988;6(1):13-23. doi: 10.1002/jor.1100060103. PMID: 3334734,
|Appearance||Red, clear liquid|
|pH||7.2 ± 0.1|
|Suitability||Suitable for mammalian cell culture|
|Sterility Tested||Sterile filtered using 0.22 µm filter|
|Shipping Condition||Room temperature|
There are no reviews yet.